Västerbotten cheese & spinach waffles
- 100 g butter melted, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g all-purpose flour
- 75 g wholegrain spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 75 g Västerbotten cheese finely grated (or mature/sharp Cheddar)
- 100 g blanched cooked spinach or 3–4 frozen balls (defrosted), liquid squeezed out and chopped
- a pinch of salt
- black pepper
- 150 g smoked bacon pieces/pancetta chopped & cooked (optional)
- sour cream to serve
- - A heart-shaped waffle iron – available online. You can use a different shaped iron but cooking time and yield may vary
- Heat up the waffle iron and brush with melted butter.
- Combine all the ingredients (apart from the sour cream) together with 350 ml/11/2 cups water and stir to incorporate and form a smooth, thick batter.
- Add a ladle of batter to the hot waffle iron. Close the lid and cook for 2–3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and serve immediately with sour cream if liked.