Swedish Christmas Ham - Topping
Swedish Christmas Ham ('Julskinka') is made special by its mustard crumb topping. It's really delicious - it adds texture and crunch and a lovely tang from the mustard.You only add the topping before you serve, so first you need to get yourself a cooked ham. We sell the real Swedish hams ready cooked - and ready to eat. Delicious, lovely and succulent - perfect for your Swedish Christmas Julbord.If you are using a pre-cooked ham, first open the packet, then remove the netting. Then clean up the ham by cutting away the fat layer on top - this can take a little while, so be patient and use a good sharp knife.Once the fat layer has been removed, place the ham on your oven tray.
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp wholegrain Swedish mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 60 g breadcrumbs
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg, mustard, sugar, salt and half the breadcrumbs.
- Once combines, spread the paste all over the top of the ham. Once you have an even layer on top, add the rest of the breadcrumbs evenly across the topping.
- Pop the ham under the grill for about 15 minutes - but watch carefully so that the topping cooks, but does not burn.
- Swedish ham is served cold or just a bit warm, so no need to worry too much about heating up the whole ham.
- Serve whole on the Julbord Christmas table - and slice as needed. Serve with a good sweet coarse mustard with bite - and of course Smorgasgurka pickles.