Rye Banana Bread & Cinnamon Butter
- 125 g butter
- 150 g dark brown soft sugar
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 100 g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar or extract
- 125 g plain/all-purpose flour
- 125 g whole rye flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 2 UK large eggs (US extra-large eggs)
- cinnamon butter to serve (optional)
- 500 g loaf pan lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and dark brown soft sugar.
- Meanwhile, mash the bananas and mix with the yoghurt, lemon juice and vanilla and set aside. Mix the flours with the salt and bicarbonate of soda/baking soda and set aside.
- When the butter and sugar are creamy and well combined, add the eggs one at the time, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition to ensure they are fully incorporated.
- Add the mashed banana mixture and mix until incorporated, then add the flours and mix briefly until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for around 30 minutes. – Check with a skewer – it is done when the middle just comes out clean. Leave to cool. Serve toasted with cinnamon butter (see below).
- Mix 3 tablespoons of strong cinnamon sugar (half and half) with half a packet of soft butter – re-chill and use as needed.