1. When you turn on the hot water tap, it smells of eggy farts. This is due to the high sulphur content in the water. It makes showers… interesting.
2. Icelandic phonebooks are listed by first names, not surnames. In Iceland, children are named from their parent’s names – so, Erik’s son Peter will be known as Peter Eriksson. Peter’s son Magnus will be known as Magnus Petersson. A daughter is dottir – so Thorunn Eriksdottir, for example.
3. Iceland is one of the most volcanically active areas on earth. On average, it experiences a volcanic event every 5 years.
4. Not content with one Santa, Iceland has 13 of them, known as The Yule Lads.
5. Iceland is home to one of the world’s oldest democracies (Althing); established in 930. It’s also one of the most gender equal countries on earth.
6. Knitting is taught in Icelandic schools
7. Batman was known as Leðurblökumaðurinn in Iceland. This translates as ‘Leatherflappingman’
Can't make it to store? Don't worry. We deliver across the UK and EU to curb your cravings wherever you are.