Cinnamon Bun French Toast
Imagine it... You have some cinnamon buns left over. Yes, we know, it does not happen often, but it CAN happen. What do you do with those stale things, not good for anything?The other day, we made french toast. It was indulgent and delicious and quite naughty.
- 1 portion of berries we used raspberries as these are tart and cut through the sweetness of this dish best.
For the syrup
- (makes a generous portion, more than you need - keeps in the fridge for a few weeks)
- 150 g sugar
- 100 ml water
- 1 vanilla pod scraped out including the seeds
- salt flakes optional
For the french toast
- 4 cinnamon buns sliced open into two pieces each.
- These have to be the more traditional Scandi recipe, yeast based, bread dough buns, not fancy pastry buns
- 3 eggs
- 50 g plain flour mixed with a small pinch of baking soda
- 125 ml whole milk
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- butter for frying