September 6, 2018
Vaniljekranse med appelsin
- 170 g granulated sugar
- 200 g butter at room temperature
- 275 g strong bread flour
- 100 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- a pinch of salt
- seeds from 1 whole vanilla pod/bean
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- a strong piping/pastry bag and a medium star nozzle/tip
- Mix the sugar and butter (only briefly until just combined), then add the remaining ingredients and mix until you have an even dough (you can do this in a food processor or by hand). Do not overmix. Your dough needs to be soft enough to push through a piping/pastry bag nozzle. It is a hard dough – in Denmark, most people use a metal case to push the dough through the nozzle. A fabric piping/pastry bag is also good. If you find this difficult but have a good-sized nozzle, you can simply push the dough through the nozzle with your thumb, one at the time.
- Line several baking sheets with baking parchment. Pipe out rolls 8–10 cm/31/4 –4 in. long, then carefully connect into circles and place on the lined baking sheets. Make sure the rolls are no thicker than your little finger, because they will spread a bit during baking. Place the baking sheets in the fridge if you have space so they can firm up as much as possible before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6.
- Pop a chilled baking sheet of cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 8–10 minutes, or until the slightest tinge of golden brown appears at the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before eating.
- Repeat until everything is baked. Store in an airtight container.