Runebergintorttu - Runeberg Cakes
Topping and filling
- raspberry jam 1 tsp per cake
- icing sugar
- Amaretto optional
- Baking tin: Cylinder 5 cm x 5 cm holes or similar sized muffin or other shapes.
- Turn the oven to 180C
- Whisk the butter and sugar until fluffy, the add the egg and egg yolk and mix again until completely combined.
- In a bowl, add dry ingredients except the crispbread breadcrumbs - and then sift into the egg mixture – add the breadcrumbs and cream and fold again until smooth. Add 50ml of juice or water and mix – the mixture will still be quite thick.
- Lightly butter the cylinder baking tins and then fill just over half with mixture. If you use tins with holes around 5cm x 5cm, you will get 8 cakes from this batch.
- Bake for around 12-15 minutes or until done – the little cakes will rise quite a bit during baking.
- Remove from the oven. Brush the most level ends of the cakes with a bit of Amaretto, for extra flavour.
- Level out any wonkiness so the cakes can stand. Cut a hole in the middle to fit approx. 1 tsp jam into each.
- Mix the icing sugar with a bit of hot water until you have a thick paste. Put it into a plastic bag and snip off the corner and pipe a line around the jam. Leave to dry.