Solskinnsboller - Norwegian Custard Cinnamon Swirls
- 1 quantity of bun dough
- 1 quantity of creme patisserie or thick custard (homemade or bought - but if the latter thicken it with a bit of cornflour first or it will be too runny.
Quick and easy vanilla custard cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 200 ml whole milk
- In a medium size saucepan, heat the milk until steaming (do not let it boil). Remove from heat. In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks, corn flour, sugar and vanilla until a thick paste. Whilst whisking, pour a little of the hot milk into the egg/sugar mixture until combined. Continue adding the hot milk slowly until everything is combined. Return to the saucepan and let simmer over medium heat until thickened - whisk continuously to avoid lumps forming. Once thickened (you should be able to make soft blobs that don't disappear immediately - it will thicken more when it cools) pour into a bowl and place clingfilm directly onto the top of the custard. This avoids a skin forming. Leave to cool completely - the fridge quickens this step.
Assembling the buns:
- Make you cinnamon buns as normal and leave under a tea towel for 25-30 mins to rise a bit more. Place your creme patisserie in a piping bag or plastic bag.
- Now, you need to make an indent in each bun to fit the creme pat in - press down in the middle with your finger (or something measuring about 2cm diameter) until you have even indents in every bun. Pipe a small amount of custard into each hollow. Don't be tempted to use too much - it will just get messy (but still tasty). 1-2 tsp should be enough.
- Bake at 220 degrees celsius for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.