Romkugler (rum flavour chocolate treats)
- 500 g leftover Danish pastries and/or cake – ideally mixture of both
- 2-3 tbsp raspberry jam
- 100 g icing sugar add less if your cakes are a really sweet variety
- 100 g softened butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2-3 tsp rum extract or essence I use quite a concentrated one – you may need to add a bit more, as you want it to have a good punchy flavour
- A handful of oats (optional)
- Dark or light chocolate vermicelli strands to decorate if you’re making the balls
- OR 300g White Marzipan or icing if making the ghosts.
- Roughly tear any Danish pastries into bite-sized pieces and crumble up any cakes you are using. In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment or in a food processor, blend the shredded and crumbled pastries and cakes with the rest of the ingredients (apart from the oats and the chocolate vermicelli) until evenly mixed.
- Taste the mixture – it may need more cocoa powder, rum extract or even icing/confectioners’ sugar. Because this is made with leftovers, the taste will vary a lot. If you feel it needs more texture you can add a handful of oats.
- Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for about an hour to firm up.
- Roll into balls a bit larger than the size of a golf ball and roll in the chocolate vermicelli strands to evenly coat. Chill again in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
- If making little ghosts, roll out your icing/marzipan with icing sugar, then cut rounds out that will cover the balls. Shape gentle upwards to create taller ghosts – and then add eyes with icing or stick out using a toothpick.
- Rum treats will keep well for 2–3 days wrapped in cling film/plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator.