Kale, broccoli & apple salad
- 150 g rye grains dry weight
- 200 g tenderstem broccoli
- 1 red apple
- 100 g kale
- 50 g toasted hazelnuts
- dash of lemon juice
- olive oil
Starting one day in advance
- Soak the rye grains (or whole wheat, spelt or barley if preferred) overnight in double the amount of water.
- The next day, drain and rinse the grains. Place in a large pot with a good pinch of salt and cook for approx. 25 mins (from boiling), or until tender. Drain and allow to cool completely (cooked grains keeps for a few days in the fridge and can be made ahead).
For the salad
- Boil the broccoli for 3-4 minutes. Drain and leave to cool down in cold water.
- Pick kale off the stem and slice. Massage gently using your hands in a bowl with a bit of lemon juice and oil until dark green and soft – this takes a few minutes.
- Toast the hazelnuts in the oven for about 5 minutes and set aside.
- Chop the apples into small bite sized pieces and toss them in lemon juice to prevent them discolouring.
- Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and season, serve immediately.