Smoked Mackerel Salad with Fennel, Apple and peas
- 250-300 g smoked mackerel fillets
- a large handful of mixed salad leaves
- ½ fennel bulb
- ½ apple such as Pink Lady or Granny Smith
- 200 g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon
- dollop of olive oil
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 50 g honey
- 15 g wholegrain Swedish mustard
- 15 g red wine vinegar
- Finely shave fennel on mandolin or with a very sharp knife and place in a bowl. Then shave the apple in similar thin pieces.
- Combine with fennel, then dress with lemon juice and a few drops of olive oil.
- Arrange the mixed leaves on individual plates or a large flat serving dish.
- Thaw the peas and sprinkle on the leaves along with the tarragon and chives.
- Tear bite sized pieces of smoked mackerel and arrange across the salad (taking care to check for bones), then add the fennel and apple pieces on top.