March 5, 2015 | Leave a comment
Just some inspiration for a lunch time open sandwich to make at home… A beautifully softly boiled egg with delicious green asparagus.
Soon, asparagus will start to be more available as the season starts in the UK – and what better pairing than egg and delicious dark rye bread.
Open sandwiches are super healthy and easy to make. And so very, very pretty. We recommend serving this along with two other kinds as a light lunch – you can find other open sandwich inspirations on our blog.
- 2 slices of seeded rye bread
- 10 asparagus
- 2 boiled eggs (boiled 5 minutes - still soft but not too runny)
- Chives or chopped spring onion to top
- Salt, pepper
- Boil the eggs and dump into cold water to stop the cooking process
- Blanch the asparagus for 1-2 minutes and also dump into cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Butter the rye bread, cut the asparagus to fit the length of the bread.
- Carefully peel the egg - it should still be very soft but not completely runny. With a sharp knife, cut in half and carefully place yellow side up on the asparagus.
- Top with sliced spring onion or chives, salt and pepper.
- As with all open sandwiches, eat with knife and fork.