December 11, 2014 | Leave a comment
This dish is a must on most Scandi Christmas Smorgasbord tables. Mostly in Sweden, where it is absolutely essential. No beetroot salad = no Christmas.
It’s super easy to make it – have a go at home, but please do try to use a Scandinavian pickled beetroot for the best result. It just works better.
- 1 jar of pickled beetroot 300g (drained weight approx. 280g)
- ½ apple
- 50g Mayonnaise
- 50g Crème fraiche
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt, pepper
- 1 tbs chopped chives (optional)
- Drain the beetroot well and cut into bitesized pieces. Peel and cut apple into similar sized pieces.
- Mix the beetroot and apple in a bowl, add mayonnaise and crème fraiche and stir. You are looking for a good creamy consistency and a medium pink colour (if the beetroot is not drained properly, you will get a runny consistency).
- Season to taste (add sugar if using a tart variety of pickled beetroot). Add more mayo and crème fraiche, if a creamier salad is desired.
- The colour of the salad will go darker once it sets. Leave to set in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight. If it goes too dark, just add a bit more crème fraiche or mayonnaise just before serving. If using chives, add chopped on top before serving.