Recipe: Make Nordic ‘Glogg’ mulled wine at home
Posted by Bronte Aurell | Food & Recipes
, Scandi Life
Shop our full range of Scandi food here
Glögg is an essential part of Christmas all over Scandinavia. This is recipe was created by my sister-in-law Annika in her Gothenburg kitchen. It’s so very easy to make glögg at home – give it a go. You can reduce or increase the sugar to your liking – and do play around with adding and taking some spices away to make your own signature mulled wine.
Serve Nordic ‘Glögg’ mulled wine warm in smaller glasses with raisins and almonds.
Make your own 'Glögg' mulled wine at home
Author: Bronte Aurell
Recipe type: Drink
- 1 bottle red wine (quality doesn’t matter)
- 1-2 sticks cinnamon
- 5g dried root ginger
- 5g dried Seville orange peel (or other orange if you can't get Seville)
- 7 green cardamom pods
- 15-16 whole cloves
- 80g/3oz sugar
- To serve: flaked almonds and raisins
- Splash of either vodka, aquavit, rum or cognac (optional)
- Pour the wine into a pan, add the spices and heat to around 80C/176F, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for at least an hour.
- Strain the mixture and return the mulled wine to the bottle - use a funnel to make life easier for yourself. The wine can be kept for around a week.
- To serve, pour the wine into a saucepan and heat it.
- Place a few flaked almonds and raisins in the bottom of your serving cups, and pour the glögg over the mixture.
- If you want to give your glögg a kick, add a splash of either vodka, aquavit, rum or cognac just after you’ve reheated the wine.