Recipe: Lovely ‘Frasvåfflor’ waffles
These beautiful heart shaped waffles are served all over Scandinavia. There are many different recipes (probably as many different recipes as there are people who make them). In Norway, they tend to have a softer consistency – whereas in Sweden, they are crispy and eaten straight out of the waffle iron.
Norwegians love brown cheese on their waffles – and Swedes and Danes favour strawberries, strawberry jam and whipped cream. In the North of Sweden, the ultimate apres-ski treat are warm ‘frasvåfflor’ with a dollop of cream and a dollop of cloudberry jam. Absolutely delicious.
We also celebrate Waffle day at the end of March – so stay tuned for many more waffles ideas, offers and specials at the cafe.
This recipe is a more Swedish one – don’t make these in advance, as they only stay crispy for a little while. Serve with jam, cream or simply a dusting of icing sugar.
We don’t add sugar to this batter – but if you prefer a sweeter waffle, by all means do.
To make these, you need one of those fancy heart shaped waffle irons – we have found a link to a seller in the UK here
Recipe: Lovely 'Frasvåfflor' waffles
Author: Bronte Aurell
Recipe type: Treats
- 100g butter
- 180g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- Pinch ground cardamom (optional)
- 200ml whole milk
- 100ml sparkling water
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool a bit.
- Whisk all ingredients together, add the butter. Continue to whisk until you have a smooth batter. Leave for 20-30 minutes before using (give it a stir before using).
- Heat up your waffle iron on a high setting. Add a ladle of batter and press down to make your first waffle. If it common knowledge that the first waffle never turns out well so don't worry about it.
- Once the waffle is golden brown, remove and serve immediately. Don't stack them or they will go soft really quickly.
- Serve with jam of your liking - we love cloudberry jam, strawberry and raspberry jam. Norwegians love sliced brown cheese on the warm waffles, too. Delicious.
Den Gamle Fabrik Jordbær Marmelade – Strawberry Jam
Lerums Utvalde Blåbærsyltetøy – Blueberry Jam 370g
Lerums Utvalde Jordbærsyltetøy – Strawberry Jam 370g
Felix Hjortronsylt – Cloudberry Jam 283g
Toro Vafler – Waffle Mix 246g
Tine Gudbrandsdalen Brunost – Brown Cheese 250g
Ekströms Frasvåfflor – Waffle Mix 210g
Tine Ekte Geitost – Brown Goat’s Cheese 500g